Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Students' view of Technology

While in my ed tech placement, several of the students asked me why I was observing their classroom. I responded to them by saying that I was there to watch how they use technology in their class. Nearly every time I said this to the students, they would say something along the lines of "we NEVER use technology in our class." What? These are the kids who make podcasts and use digital cameras on a daily basis.

This made me wonder what students actually consider technology to be. When I asked them this, they mentioned gadgets like iPods, iPhones, and video games. We have seen some examples of how teachers can incorporate these devices into their lessons. What concerns me more is that it seems like teacher will never be able to keep up with kids and how quickly they use technology. What is going on when students don't even consider computers to be a special technological tool?

No comments: